Eltz Castle

A journey through 850 Years in one Castle

The tour of Eltz Castle (for entrance fees, times and duration see Opening Hours, Entrance Fees and Practical Information) is an exciting and informative but also entertaining journey through 850 years of Western architecture and culture.
This is what you will see:


 

The Entrance to the Rübenach House was converted into an armoury during the Romantic period. It contains the oldest surviving cannon bolts, piercing and thrusting weapons as well as a selection of 14th to 17th century firearms.


 

This was the living room of the Eltz-Rübenach family. It was built in 1311 and houses the famous painting "Madonna with Child and Grapes", a masterpiece by Lucas Cranach the Elder.


 

The Rübenach Upper Hall with its murals by a Burgundy artist, the dainty Gothic chapel oriel and its colourful windows is also referred to as the Bed Chamber because of the large carved four-poster bed in this room.


 

The Dressing Room adjoining the Bed Chamber, or Rübenach Upper Hall as it is called, is also decorated with 15th century murals, ornaments and figurative depictions of family members of the line "with the white lion". Two of the portraits depict Jutta and Lanzelot von Eltz next to the year 1451.


 

In 1881 Count Karl furnished the room above the Rübenach entrance as a study for his wife Ludwine. The murals by E. Knackfuß depict Late-Gothic vines framing portraits of himself with his two sons and six daughters in Romantic gowns and poses.


 

This room is named after the two electors from the house of Eltz, Jakob zu Eltz of Trier (1567-1581) and Philipp Carl zu Eltz of Mainz (1732-1743). Its original furnishings document the stylistic developments during the 17th and 18th century.


 

This late medieval hall of the early 16th century was used for festivals and negotiations by all three branches of the family on Eltz Castle. Remarkable are the original heavy oak ceiling and the heraldic frieze as well as some beautiful suits of armour.


 

This irregular room, referred to as Angel Room or Hunting Room, contains hunting trophies, elegant hunting weapons, furniture with fine intarsia and an old embrasure dating from the construction period of the castle. Next-door is the attic of the Castle Chapel with a collection of model cannons.


 

The Wambolt Room is furnished with beautifully inlayed furniture, Dutch portraits, a late Renaissance tapestry as well as historic household implements: a clothes press, a spinning wheel and a reel dating from the 17th and 18th century.


 

This small chamber is referred to as Countess’ Room or Children’s Room because of the paintings of children and young members of the House of Eltz or their relatives of the 17th and 18th century. Here you can also see the probably oldest surviving painted Renaissance bed in Germany, which was made around 1520.


 

The Banner Hall of around 1480 with its opulent late Gothic net vault is the most spectacular room in the castle. It was probably a chapel before being integrated into the Groß Rodendorf House around 1510. Later it was used as a living and dining room.


 

The 15th century Rodendorf Kitchen is one of originally four kitchens in Eltz Castle. The objects displayed here date from the 15th to the 19th century.